<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Pelosi Defends Obama Over Rev. Wright Ties

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has come out in defense of Barack Obama over his ties to the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, saying the controversial pastor won’t affect voters’ decisions in November.

“Look, I am just glad [Obama] went to church,” Pelosi told Fox News’ Greta Van Susteren on Tuesday night.

Pelosi, a Catholic, said she doesn’t believe that politicians “should be held accountable for everything that their pastors say in their church.

“I have disagreements with some of … my own pastors and churches that I go to and if I had to walk out every time I had an area of disagreement, then I would be hard put. It’s a disagreement.”

Referring to two recent Democratic wins in special elections in conservative-leaning Congressional districts, Pelosi said: “I do not think that the judgment that will be made by the American people will be about Rev. Wright. It didn’t work in Mississippi and it didn’t work in Louisiana. That’s where the Republicans tried to pin that on our Democratic candidates.”

Obama's relationship with Wright came under fire after videos were made public earlier this year in which Wright claimed that the United States brought 9/11 on itself and people should say "God damn America" instead of "God bless America."

Obama finally broke with Wright on April 29, calling his remarks "divisive and destructive."

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?