<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, May 22, 2004

The Straight From Baghdad

(This letter sent to Congressman Mac Collin from Duane Underwood, Baghdad, Iraq)

May 21, 2004

Dear Family and Friends:

This is my last letter to you from Baghdad. Because of that, this will mostly address the changes I have witnessed over the past three months.

The biggest change is that we are faced with is a situation more critical than it was three months ago. When I arrived, I saw and felt the enemy in extremely dangerous situations. That time is now a time that is called “normal”. Many Iraqis and others that I work with want it back to “normal”.

The situation has become more critical due to some of the heaviest fighting since Baghdad fell over a year ago. This includes the violence in Fullujah and the intensified uprising of the Coalition forces waging fierce battles upon the Sadr influence.

Through my tenure in Baghdad, I have known some of the American soldiers who have given their lives by clashing with the militiamen whose forces have been responsible for much of the violence.

I have also known Iraqis who have given their lives to gain democracy and freedom. And I have known people from countries other than America who will not be returning to their families.

I have been blessed to have known some of the heroes of today who gave their all to liberate Iraq and free it from terrorism.

The consequences of failing now would be unthinkable. When I first arrived to the Green Zone, I heard the sounds of rockets, mortars, and gunfire, but I still slept at night.

Now there are attacks and deaths every day --it is continuous and relentless—and it is difficult to sleep at night. There is intensification of fighting as the June 30 handover of power to an Iraqi government approaches.

In a land where civilization started, I am reminded that civilization is a veneer that can be penetrated at any time for any of us.

I have seen the worse and the best of human behavior. The worse of humanity has been demonstrated by those who attack us with barbarous maltreatment. I have witnessed also the best of humanity through the Coalition forces who fight for justice and equality for all.

As I leave Iraq, I know there is still corruption in place and realize there is a long way to go. The lasting affects of the good that have occurred over the last three months will surface through the true friendships between Americans and Iraqis.

Even through adversities, my colleagues and I have developed relationships and true friendships with some of the Iraqis which will last a lifetime. These friendships, which appear to be such a small thing, when multiplied will make a positive difference in permanent change.

The following messages I have received will give you an idea of some of the Iraqi’s feelings:

“It is my pleasure to have the opportunity to know you and work with you. You are very special woman. You remind me of my grandmother whom I love a lot. You are full of love for everybody, kind and nice. I hope you will return to your family safe and talk to your granddaughters about us” ,and

“Thanks alot for your consideration. We are learning alot from your workshops and they are really useful. Hope these workshops will continue. I and my staff appreciate your practical and theoritrical support. Please keep nourishing us with resources and ideas.”

I have always heard that War amplifies your true self. The person I have learned the most about is myself. Through deprivation and sacrifice, I have been blessed with a strong spiritual growth. As I walked in the path of history-making events, change has happened in me. I will never really see things the same again.

As I land on the shores of the good ole US of A, I know America and the Middle East will be safer than we were before 9/11. I am anxious to return to my family and friends who have been the foundation of my support.

I will miss my colleagues who are continuing to serve in Iraq, I will miss my new Iraqi friends , I will miss my new friends from other countries, and I will miss the daily feeling of adding value to a free Iraq which is I believe is vital to the future of peace in the world.

I will now read and listen to the media with more interest as the flag of free Iraq is raised, and the Iraqi officials assume full responsibility for ministries of government. I will be with my Iraqi friends in spirit as they elect a national assembly.

I will celebrate with the Iraqis when they elect a permanent government which will mark the completion of Iraq’s transition form dictatorship to freedom! Yes, in a very small way, I feel I have contributed to a world-wide effort. I leave Iraq in God’s hands, and I pray.

Duane Underwood
CPA-Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs
Baghdad, Iraq

Congressman Mac Collins: I wanted to share this letter from a lady who has been in Iraq for the past few months working for the US Government.

Iraq is a very dangerous place, but as you can see those who are there see and understand the real situation, not what we see on the TV from the media.

Keep our troops and foreign service personnel in your prayers.

May God continue to bless America.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?